Those wishing to be married at St Francis are required to complete a Marriage Preparation Course under the guidance of either Fr Motsamai or Margaret Godden. Dates and a plan for the marriage need to be arranged well ahead of time.
Application for CHRISTIAN MARRIAGE
Application forms are available from the Rector or Parish Office.
WHAT IS CHRISTIAN MARRIAGE?
Christian Marriage is the closest of relationships between a man and a woman.
- Christian Marriage is a sacrament of the Church, and a covenant whereby a man and a woman make promises to each other before God and before witnesses. Priest and congregation pray for God to bless the couple and give them the grace to be faithful to each other in good times and in bad, for the rest of their lives.
- Christian Marriage, love and sex were created by God, and he has very clearly laid down in his Word how these gifts should be used.
- It is appropriate that a Christian Marriage takes place in the context of the Eucharist, that is, a Nuptial Mass, but this is not compulsory.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A CHRISTIAN MARRIAGE?
- Both partners must be Christians, that is, baptized members of the Christian Church.
- If one, or both, parties are divorced, the consent of the Bishop of the Diocese is required for their marriage. In this case, application must be made to the Bishop through the Rector at least four months prior to the desired date of the marriage.
WHAT ARE OUR RESPONSIBILITIES?
The couple is expected to attend Church regularly, and to fully share in the life of the Body of Christ.
The couple must be willing to attend Marriage Preparation classes.
WHAT MUST WE DO IN ORDER TO BE MARRIED AT ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI CHURCH?
- Complete the form and return it to the Parish Office.
- Two ID size photographs of each person as well as copies of their ID documents are also required.
- If the marriage is to be concluded with an Ante-nuptial Contract, the couple will have to see a lawyer who will assist them to draw up such an agreement, and provide a letter to the priest to indicate that this has been done.
- Before the marriage can take place, the couple needs to make an appointment to meet with the Rector, to discuss the marriage, book a wedding date and plan for marriage preparation. Understandably, this needs to be done well before the time – at least six months before the intended wedding day.
- Arrange and attend Marriage Preparation classes, either with the Rector or with a licensed counsellor.
WHAT IF WE WANT TO BE MARRIED ELSEWHERE?
The Parish Church (where the ‘Family’ of the Church gather regularly for worship) is the most appropriate place for a marriage to be solemnised by God. However, the Bishop of the Diocese has allowed for marriages to be conducted at other venues provided that the:
- venue is regularly used for worship
- venue complies with State law and regulations
- venue is within the Diocese of the Highveld, and
- couple agrees to attend a regular Sunday worship service in order to receive the Nuptial blessing .
WHAT COSTS ARE INVOLVED?
- There is no charge made by the priest for conducting a Marriage Service. An optional Thank Offering may be given to the Church and/or the priest.
- Contact the Parish secretary for the costs for:
- Cleaning and preparation of the church
- An organist and/or choir
- Flower arrangements by the Church Flower Guild.
The Parish secretary will also arrange for any of the above.